Tuesday 3 July 2012

Savoury Bread & Butter Pudding

Having just finished the remains of last night's sweet bread and butter pudding with a dollop of crème fraiche my memory spooled back 37 years to when Gill and I were living in a student flat in Morecambe waiting for her to finish college. In those days we kept a handwritten recipe book in an old school exercise book. This went missing when we moved house a few years ago.

In the mid 1970s, there were two rival children's TV magazine programmes, Blue Peter on BBC and Magpie on ITV. The former had pedigree and status but the latter boasted the beautiful Susan Stranks which made it required viewing (although my excuse was that I needed to watch so I could have a conversation with my class about it next day). One of these programmes had an item on food in Tudor / Elizabethan times and they gave a recipe for a savoury bread and butter pudding with cheese, leeks, sultanas and mustard. I copied it down and made it for supper the next day. Memory tells me it was delicious and possibly a contributory factor to Gill agreeing to marry me later that year. I looked at the recipe a couple of times subsequently but never got around to making it again. 


I think I could busk it - and I probably will in the next couple of weeks but if one of my readers (?) has the recipe (what are the odds on that, I wonder?), do let me have it.


Ah, Susan Stranks ....

No comments:

Post a Comment